Independence is an important concept for people of all ages, but that does not mean having to be alone or handle all situations alone. As a family caregiver you can encourage your elderly parent to enjoy a more independent lifestyle while still staying safe and secure by building a personal support network. This network is made up of people who are willing to help your loved one in challenging situations, such as disasters and weather emergencies, as well as offering an extra layer of support by checking in on them and making sure that they have what they need to remain safe, healthy, and comfortable.
Use these tips to help you build your personal support network for your elderly love so that they can better handle emergencies if they arise throughout their later years:
• Identify friends, family members, neighbors, and professionals that are willing to be a part of this network and communicate with you during an emergency situation to ensure that your loved one is safe.
• Create a phone tree so that all members of the care network know who to call and in what order during the emergency to implement plans.
• Give primary members of the care network keys to your parent’s home so that they can get to your loved one if necessary.
• Show these members of the care network where your loved one keeps their emergency preparedness kit.
• Share emergency plans such as evacuation routes with these members so that everyone knows how to get to predetermined locations and can check on your parent’s location if necessary.
If you have been looking for ways to enhance your loved one’s life and help them to remain healthier, happier, safer, and more comfortable throughout their later years, starting elderly care for them might be the ideal solution. An elderly home care services provider can be with your aging parent on a fully customized schedule to ensure that your senior gets the support, care, assistance, and encouragement that they need to handle their individual needs, challenges, and limitations, as well as any unforeseen circumstances that might come up. The highly personalized services of an elderly care provider are designed to not just address your parent’s needs, but do so in a way that is right for them as an individual, ensuring that they are able to pursue the active, engaged, independent, and fulfilling lifestyle that they desire and deserve, and that is right for them. When it comes to helping your parent handle an emergency situation, this care provider can be invaluable in helping your loved one to understand the potential risks that they are facing, create and implement plans, and ensure that the measures that you have taken are as effective and beneficial as possible. An elderly care provider can be a valuable element of your parent’s care network, offering you another source of support and communication in the event of an emergency situation. Including this care provider in your care network helps to provide an additional source of connection so that you can keep track of your loved one during such an event.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Omaha NE, please contact the caring staff at Seniors Helping Seniors® Greater Omaha at 402-331-3073 today.